Thursday, December 30, 2010

Little Romanian cups

A few years back when my lovely wife and I were in Hungary we took a day trip to Romania and we bought these little cups including a wooden tree to hang them on, completely forgot about them as they were hidden in a closet all these years and just happen upon them the other day. Love these little things

The other day I was searching some artists blogs and read one about an oil painter taking about how much working time he had so it didn't really worry about how things looked at first when he was blocking in colour as the oil could be pushed around even long after it had been put down on the canvas, got me thinking. Currently I am using acrylic paint and one of the limitations is the the paint dries so quickly there isn't much working time at all, so today I decided to add a bit of water to thin it out a touch and give me a few more minutes to play around a bit. almost like a light going on, the extra time gave me a lot more time to experiment which turned out to be a lot more fluid for me. This painting took about 3 hours from start to finish, probably the quickest painting I have turned out in the last few years and it has a nice quality to it. I think in the next few weeks I will pick up some oil based paints and give it a try.

Enjoy
Dave

Title: 3 little brownies
Acrylic painting 10 x 12

Post a Comment